Copper penny recipe is an old-fashioned dish that has been passed down from one generation to another.
It’s a delicious side dish that many people enjoy with their meals, and it’s perfect for those who love sweet and tangy flavors.
Making your own copper penny recipe at home is simple and easy.
All you need are a few ingredients, some time, and a little effort.
And in this article, we will be showing you how to make your own copper penny recipe at home that will be the envy of all your family and friends.
The copper penny recipe is said to have originated from the southern states in the United States.
The dish became popular during the Great Depression when people had to make do with what they had.
And since canned vegetables were readily available, people started experimenting with different recipes to make them taste better.
One of the most popular ways to enhance the flavor of canned carrots was to cook them in a sweet and sour sauce.
And that’s how the copper penny recipe was born.
Prep Time and What to Expect
The prep time for making the copper penny recipe is relatively short.
You’ll need to set aside about 10-15 minutes to prepare the ingredients, and then another 30-45 minutes to cook them.
The recipe calls for canned carrots, which means that you won’t have to spend a lot of time peeling and chopping fresh carrots.
When making the recipe, you can expect the carrots to be cooked until they’re tender and infused with the flavors of the sauce.
The sauce should be thick and sticky, and the carrots should be coated in it evenly.
Once the dish is cooked, you can expect it to be sweet, tangy, and savory all at once.
To make the copper penny recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
– 2 cans of sliced carrots
– 1/2 cup of sugar
– 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
– 1/2 cup of ketchup
– 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
– 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
– 1 teaspoon of dry mustard
– 1/2 teaspoon of salt
– 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
To make the best copper penny recipe, follow these instructions:
1. Drain the canned carrots and set them aside.
2. In a medium-sized saucepan, mix together the sugar, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, vegetable oil, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, salt, and black pepper.
3. Heat the saucepan over low-medium heat and stir the mixture until the sugar has dissolved.
4. Add the drained carrots to the saucepan and stir gently to coat them evenly.
5. Cover the saucepan and simmer the carrots for about 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they’re tender and coated in the sauce.
6. Once the dish is cooked, transfer it to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh parsley or chopped scallions (optional).
7. Serve the copper penny recipe hot as a delicious side dish with your favorite main course.
Best Served with
The copper penny recipe is a versatile dish that can be served with a variety of main courses.
It pairs well with grilled meats like chicken, beef, or pork.
It’s also a great side dish for roasted vegetables or baked potatoes.
And if you’re looking for something lighter, you can serve it with a fresh garden salad.
Can I use fresh carrots instead of canned?
Yes, you can use fresh carrots, but you’ll need to peel and chop them yourself. Also, fresh carrots will take longer to cook compared to canned ones.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this recipe ahead of time and refrigerate it. Just reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop before serving.
Can I substitute the ketchup with tomato sauce?
Yes, you can use tomato sauce instead of ketchup, but the flavor will be slightly different.
In conclusion, making your own copper penny recipe at home is a great way to enjoy a delicious and versatile side dish.
With a few simple ingredients and some time, you can create a savory and tangy dish that will impress your family and friends.
So, try out this recipe today and see for yourself how easy and delicious it can be!
FrancisknomeMay 21, 2023 at 4:31 pm