Sacred Heart Soup, also known as Cabbage Soup, is a hearty and nutritious soup that has been a popular recipe for many years.
It is a low-calorie soup that is packed with vegetables, making it perfect for those who are looking for a healthy and filling meal.
This soup is easy to prepare and can be customized to suit your taste preferences.
In this article, we will discuss how to make the best Sacred Heart Soup recipe and provide tips for making it.
Tips for making the best Sacred Heart Soup
- Use fresh vegetables: For the best-tasting soup, use fresh vegetables instead of canned or frozen ones. Fresh vegetables have a better texture and flavor, and they also contain more nutrients.
- Cook the soup for a longer time: This soup is best when it has been cooked for at least an hour. This allows the flavors to blend together and gives the soup a richer taste.
- Add seasonings to taste: This soup is versatile and can be seasoned to your liking. Add salt, pepper, or any other seasonings that you prefer.
History of Sacred Heart Soup
The origins of Sacred Heart Soup are not clear, but it is believed to have originated in the United States.
Some say that it was created by nuns who were looking for a low-calorie and nutritious soup to serve to their patients.
Others believe that it was developed by a hospital to help patients lose weight quickly before surgery.
Prep Time and What to Expect
The prep time for Sacred Heart Soup is approximately 15-20 minutes, and it takes about an hour to cook. When making the soup, expect to have a lot of vegetables to chop and prepare.
The soup will also have a strong aroma as it cooks, which may be pleasant or overwhelming depending on your preferences.
- 1 head of cabbage, chopped
- 6 large onions, diced
- 6 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 package of Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1-2 bouillon cubes (chicken or vegetable)
- Salt, pepper, and other seasonings to taste
- 6-8 cups of water
Best Sacred Heart Soup Recipe
- In a large pot, sauté onions and celery until they are translucent.
- Add the green bell peppers and cook for a few minutes until they are soft.
- Add the chopped cabbage and cook for 10-15 minutes until it starts to wilt.
- Add the diced tomatoes (with their juice), Lipton Onion Soup Mix, bouillon cubes, and water.
- Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer the soup for at least an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt, pepper, and other seasonings to taste.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
How to serve Sacred Heart Soup
Sacred Heart Soup is a versatile soup that can be served as a main course or as a side dish. It pairs well with crusty bread or crackers, and it can also be topped with grated cheese for added flavor.
Can I use beef bouillon cubes instead of chicken or vegetable?
Yes, you can use any type of bouillon cubes that you prefer.
Can I add other vegetables to the soup?
Yes, you can add any vegetables that you like, such as carrots or zucchini.
Is this soup good for weight loss?
Sacred Heart Soup is a low-calorie and nutrient-dense soup that is often used for weight loss. However, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any weight loss program.
Cooking up a Classic: The Perfect Tomato Soup Recipe – Spirit Life ExcellenceMay 16, 2023 at 10:49 am
[…] conclusion, this tomato soup recipe is a classic dish that has proven to be a favorite among many people around the […]